So, seen as I’m here for 25 days. I thought i’d give you a bit of an insight into Naples (Napoli). Maybe you have visited before or maybe you’d really like to come here. Let’s have a look shall we?
‘Naples, a city in southern Italy, sits on the Bay of Naples. Nearby is Mount Vesuvius, the still-active volcano that destroyed nearby Roman town Pompeii. Dating to the 2nd millennium B.C., Naples has centuries of important art and architecture. The city’s cathedral, the Duomo di San Gennaro, is filled with frescoes. Other major landmarks include the lavish Royal Palace and Castel Nuovo, a 13th-century castle.’ (Thanks Wiki).
The city of Naples is thought to be one of the oldest continually inhabited cities on the planet, but its recorded history began when Greek settlers established colonies in the area during the second millennium B.C. – WOW!
Some of the things i’m looking forward too:
- PIZZA. You cannot come to Italy and not indulge in Pizza.
- Gelato. So many people have told me about the places ‘you must go’ for the best Gelato in Italy. I’ll hopefully post some photos once I head up to Rome.
- Churches. I’m excited to go and visit a lot of the churches here in Italy and immerse myself in the History they have to offer.
- Street food. I’ve heard a lot about this. There are lots of places to go and eat in Naples and lots of street vendors offer delicious street food. A calzone, potato fingers, deep fried anything and much more. (all which costs next to nothing!).
- Energy. Naples is a really vibrant city. Scooters speed down tiny alleyways filled with people, even though traffic does not stop for pedestrians, locals don’t flinch when they cross the street. They walk straight into traffic, and, somehow, emerge without a scratch. Adjusting to the local tempo is the name of the game in Naples, and, once you succeed, you may find the feeling of accomplishment magnificent. You have become a little more local; a little more Neapolitan.
Here goes! I’m off for an explore of the area i’m staying in today so look out for some photos later!